Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup Sides
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1.5 pound package pre-cut butternut squash
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon Angel Brand dried sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon Angel Brand ground black pepper
- 1 Honeycrisp apple cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Angel Brand ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Angel Brand ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon Angel Brand fresh grated nutmeg
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, sweet potatoes, chicken broth, sage, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low; simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the diced apple and maple syrup.
- In batches pour soup carefully into large blender to purée soup
- Stir in the cinnamon, mace, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, then taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. To thicken the soup, simmer over low heat until desired consistency is reached.
*Adapted from Once Upon a Chef