- 1 lb. bag dried lentil beans, rinsed
- 1 ham bone (or 1lb sweet Italian sausage sliced and cooked)
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- ½ teaspoon Angel Brand dried basil
- 2 Angel Brand Bay leaves
- 4 sprigs Angel Brand dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Angel Brand black pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add two tablespoons olive oil and cook onions until translucent (about 4-5 min). Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add meaty ham bone to pot and pour cold water over ham until about half submerged.
- Add lentils, carrots, potatoes, dried basil, bay leaves, dried thyme, and black pepper. Gently mix.
- Bring water to a boil. Stir and lower heat. Cover lentils, and simmer for two hours. Stir occasionally as it cooks.
- If lentils are looking too thick, add more water while cooking. If lentils are looking too watery, remove lid, and let cook a little while longer.
- Once soup is finished cooking, remove ham bone, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs. Shred two cups of ham from the bone and add back to the soup. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Typically, I don’t usually need to add anything.
- Serve with warm crusty bread and enjoy!