Turkey Picadillo Empanadas
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey
- 4 oz jar tomato sauce, (or 1/2 can)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Angel Brand ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Angel Brand onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Angel Brand garlic powder
- 2 Angel Brand bay leaves
- 2 tbsp green Spanish pitted olives chopped, plus 2 tbsp brine
- 2 packs prepackaged 6in Goya empanada Discs, dethawed
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
To Make Filling:
- Chop onion, garlic, red pepper, tomato and cilantro.
- Brown the ground turkey on medium heat in large sauté pan and season with salt and pepper (about 1 to 1.5tsp salt). Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces.
- Add chopped vegetables to the meat and continue cooking on a low heat.
- Add chopped olives and about 2 tbsp of the brine (this adds great flavor) cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, bay leaves, and more salt if needed.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered about 15 to 20 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Let cool or put in refrigerator for 2 hours until cold (It is much easier to fill empanada discs when filling is cold).
To Make Discs:
- Preheat the air fryer to 330F for 5 minutes. Spray the basket generously with cooking spray.
- Place ¼ cup of picadillo in the center of each disc. Fold in half and use a fork to seal the edges. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Whisk the egg with water, then brush the tops of the empanadas.
- Bake 2or 3 at a time in the air fryer 10 minutes, or until golden. Flip and air fry 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and repeat with the remaining empanadas.
*Adapted from Skinnytaste