Cranberry Apple Cake Dessert
Cranberry Apple Cake
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries rinsed
- 1 Honey Crisp apple peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest from 2 oranges
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/8 teaspoons Angel Brand cinnamon (divided)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup 5 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Next, grab a medium-sized bowl and combine the apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Set the mixture aside for later.
- Grab a mixer and beat the eggs on medium-high speed for two minutes. Turning the mixer down to medium, add in 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the butter, vanilla, and sour cream and beat just until combined. Turn down the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the flour and salt.
- Grab the fruit mixture and pour evenly into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Next, pour the batter over the fruit mixture so that it’s covered completely.
- Next mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon. Spring the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes. It will be done when a toothpick can be inserted into the middle of the cake and can be pulled clean. The fruit should also be bubbling around the sides.
Recipe by Ina Garten