Irish Moss/Sea Moss Gel
- dried whole sea moss packed
- Filtered or Spring water
- 2 limes
Prepping Sea Moss:
- Remove your sea moss from the package. (It will have a slight smell. That's a good thing it’s from the sea!).
- Thoroughly rinse your seaweed with filtered or spring water at least 3 times removing all salt and impurities.
- Place Irish Moss in a large bowl and fill it with water. Add juice from two limes and let soak in Spring or filtered water for 4 to 8 hours or overnight.
Making Your Sea Moss Gel:
- After soaking, drain water from the bowl. You will notice it has lost some color (almost translucent and has expanded 3x its original size.) That’s normal.
- Add your Irish moss and 1cup of water to a high-speed blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until completely smooth add more water to get desired consistency (we usually add about 1 ½ cups).
- Pour into a glass jar and place a lid on top. Store in the refrigerator until it solidifies into a gel.
- Use in smoothies, homemade jams, and soups.
- Sea moss gel can last in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 weeks and in the freezer for 2- 3 months.